Fire management: A virtual treatment towards psychological preparedness among health college volunteers in Indonesia
Background: Fire disasters in educational facilities often occur and lead to a lack of psychological readiness of volunteers in health colleges and in general.
Objective: The study aimed to analyze the effects of fire management: A virtual short film on the psychological preparedness of university volunteers in Indonesia.
Methods: This study uses quasi-experimental. The sampling technique used purposive sampling with a sample of 87 respondents who were divided into treatment and control groups. Health college volunteers were recruited from Java, Bali, and Sumatera islands. The psychological Preparedness for Disaster Threat Scale (PPDTS) questionnaire was used. The statistical test used is the paired t-test and the Independent Sample T-test.
Results: We found a difference in volunteers’ psychological preparedness pre-treatment and post-treatment in the treatment group (p < 0.001) and control group (p = 0.800). Differences in both groups were significant (p < 0.001).
Conclusions: Treatments using technology media, namely short films, can virtually influence increasing psychological preparedness for volunteers. In addition, this intervention can be used as media for health promotion that is easily accessible to everyone in the face of disasters.
- Anggraeni, Y., Ninin, R. H., & Astuti, S. R.. (2021). Psychological preparedness for disasters and adaptive performance of student volunteers in handling the COVID-19 pandemic at Padjadjaran. Psycho Holistic, 3(2), 1–9. http://mbunivpress.or.id/journal/index.php/psychoholistic/article/view/117
- Botchway, S., & Simpson, D. (2017). Films for public health: Developing the evidence base for films to support public health goals. Perspectives in Public Health, 137(5), 260–261. https://doi.org/10.1177/1757913917720153
- Chowdhury, S., & Chakraborty, P. pratim. (2017). Disaster and its impact on mental health: A narrative review. Journal of Family Medicine and Primary Care, 6(2), 169–170. https://doi.org/10.4103/jfmpc.jfmpc
- Desriani, R. W. (2018). Urban Resilience to Fire Disaster in High Density Urban Area. Equity, Equality and Justice on Urban Housing, October 2018.
- Johnson, V. A., Ronan, K. R., Johnston, D. M., & Peace, R. (2014). Implementing disaster preparedness education in New Zealand primary schools. Disaster Prevention and Management: An International Journal, 23(4), 370–380. https://doi.org/10.1108/DPM-09-2013-0151
- Lestari, S., & Nurman, N. (2019). Implementasi nilai-nilai kemanusiaan dalam kegiatan korps suka rela palang merah Indonesia Unit Universitas Negeri Padang. Journal of Civic Education, 2(4), 211–220. https://doi.org/10.24036/jce.v2i4.240
- Manurung, R. K. P., & Siahaan, A. Y. (2017). The role of Indonesian red cross in disaster management in Medan. Advances in Social Science, Education and Humanities Research (ASSEHR), 81(Icosop 2016), 234–240. https://doi.org/10.2991/icosop-16.2017.35
- Mukhopadhyay, B. (2015). Use of information technology in emergency and disaster management. American Journal of Environmental Protection, 4(2), 101. https://doi.org/10.11648/j.ajep.20150402.15
- Nastiti, M. E., Alfianto, G. A., & Eka, F. (2021). H5J ( Hypnotic 5 Fingers ) mobile application for reduce anxiety problems chemotheraphy patient. Jurnal Kesehatan Dr. Soebandi, 9(2), 87–91. https://doi.org/10.36858/jkds.v9i2.327
- Nipa, T. J., Kermanshachi, S., Patel, R., & Tafazzoli, M. (2020). Disaster preparedness education: construction curriculum requirements to increase students’ preparedness in pre- and post-disaster activities. EPiC Series in Built Environment, 1, 142–131. https://doi.org/10.29007/c9s4
- Noviekayati, I. G. A. A., Samudra, E. A., Valerie, C., Ariyanto, R., & Barata, M. S. (2021). Psycoeducation of responsible scouts care for others in disaster response. Journal Research of Social Science, Economics, and Management, 1(4), 369–374. https://doi.org/10.36418/jrssem.v1i4.34
- Panes, R. J., Panes, I., Ventayen, R. J. M., Pereyras, J., & Orlanda-Ventayen, C. C. (2020). Disaster preparedness and readiness of an institution in one ASEAN country. SSRN Electronic Journal, January 2019. https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3517336
- Pertiwi, H., Zakiyah, & Parulian, I. (2021). Pengetahuan mahasiswa mengenai kesiapsiagaan bencana di Universitas Binawan Jakarta. Jurnal Kesehatan Saelmakers PERDANA, 4(2). https://doi.org/10.32524/jksp.v4i2.283
- Rafelitoo, & Triyatno. (2019). Kesiapsiagaan mahasiswa Universitas Negeri. Jurnal Kapita Seleksta Geografi, 2(2016), 109–115.
- Rahman, F., Hussain, M., Afzal, M., & Gillani, S. A. (2020). Nursing student’S perception regarding health promotion and health education. Globus Journal of Progressive Education, 10(1), 8. https://doi.org/10.46360/globus.edu.220201002
- Rathore, V. (2016). Technology in disaster management and disaster risk reduction: A review of applications. Journal of Environment and Earth Science , 6(4), 2224–2226.
- Setyawan, H., Nugraheni, A. M., Haryati, S., Qadrijati, I., Fajariani, R., Wardani, T. L., Atmojo, T. B., & Sjarifah, I. (2021). The correlation of fire knowledge toward disasters response and preparedness practice among hospital nurse Klaten Central Java, Indonesia. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science, 724(1). https://doi.org/10.1088/1755-1315/724/1/012041
- Seyedin, H., Dowlati, M., Moslehi, S., & Sakhaei, F. S. (2020). Health, safety, and education measures for fire in schools: A review article. Journal of education and health promotion, 9, 121. https://doi.org/10.4103/jehp.jehp_665_19.
- Sheek-Hussein, M., Abu-Zidan, F. M., & Stip, E. (2021). Disaster management of the psychological impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. International Journal of Emergency Medicine, 14(1), 1–10. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12245-021-00342-z
- Sholanke, A. B., Oche, A. G., & Paul, O. (2020). Fire emergency safety preparedness in the college of leadership development studies building in Covenant University, Ota, Nigeria. Civil Engineering and Architecture, 8(6), 1463–1480. https://doi.org/10.13189/cea.2020.080628
- Sowa, S., Warwick, I., & Chase, E. (2018). Producing and using community health education films in low- and middle-income countries. Health Education Journal, 77(7), 803–814. https://doi.org/10.1177/0017896918769693
- Stellefson, M., Paige, S. R., Chaney, B. H., & Chaney, J. D. (2020). Evolving role of social media in health promotion: Updated responsibilities for health education specialists. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 17(4), 1–7. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph17041153
- Sulistiyani, E., Khamida, K., Soleha, U., Amalia, R., Hartatik, S., Putra, R. S., Budiarti, R. P., & Andini, A. (2021). Implementasi merdeka belajar kampus merdeka (MBKM) pada fakultas kesehatan dan non kesehatan. edukatif : Jurnal Ilmu Pendidikan, 4(1), 686–698. https://doi.org/10.31004/edukatif.v4i1.1943
- Susanto, T., Nur, K. R. M., & Astuti, S. Y. (2020). Short film of adolescent reproductive health based on friendly of local wisdom for junior high school in Bondowoso. Journal of Community Empowerment for Health, 3(1), 49. https://doi.org/10.22146/jcoemph.48978
- Valentine, N. N., & Bolaji, W. A. (2021). Fire disaster preparedness among residents in a high income community. International Journal of Disaster Management, 4(2), 23–32. https://doi.org/10.24815/ijdm.v4i2.21026
- Waheed, M. A. A. (2014). Approach to fire-related disaster management in high density urban-area. Procedia Engineering, 77, 61–69. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2014.07.007
- Whittaker, J., McLennan, B., & Handmer, J. (2015). A review of informal volunteerism in emergencies and disasters: Definition, opportunities and challenges. International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction, 13, 358–368. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijdrr.2015.07.010
- Zulch, H. (2019). Psychological preparedness for natural hazards – improving disaster preparedness policy and practice. In Griffith University School of Psychology revue. https://www.unisdr.org/we/inform/publications/66345
Download data is not yet available.